Crepes – the word sounds so French and sophisticated. What goes on inside the mind is an expensive dessert usually ordered in a Paris restaurant.
But surprisingly, a crepe is just a fancy name for a thin pancake. With the right ingredients, anybody can make them. But to make them perfectly, you will need the best crepe pan to make them look and taste authentic.
Pans made specifically for crepes are essential in making the fancy dessert. You can purchase one of the best crepe pans to make the crepes to thinness perfection.
Aside from crepes, you can also use the pan to cook many other foods. This article is all about such pans, from what you need to consider when buying the best crepe pan.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Crepe Pan For Cooking
1. The Material – Cast Iron Or Stainless Steel Or Teflon?
When making crepes, traditionalists prefer the feel of a cast iron pan. Some would disagree because this type is obviously heavier. Aside from the weight, caring, and cleaning a cast iron pan is hard and very inconvenient.
Many prefer non-stick Teflon or stainless steel pans because they are considerably lighter. They are also easy to clean. Whatever pan you use, it should have some properties so it can turn out the best crepes.
Steel and Teflon pans are light but they are prone to scratching and this will lead to the uneven cooking of the crepe. Opt for an aluminum, cast-iron or blue-steel pan as they are more durable and are resistant to scratches.
2. The Ease Of Handling And Cooking
Modern copper pans, which is suitable for induction (label on bottom) hanging on the hook. Any chef happy would like her to cook.
- First, all crepe pans should have low sides. Such property would facilitate the flipping of the crepe.
- Second, the pan should have a thick bottom. Crepes made from thin pans tend to cook unevenly.
- Third, think about the handle’s shape and length. Get one with a longer handle that won’t heat up and is comfortable to grip. After some practice and mastery in crepe making, you will need a good handle to air-flip the crepes.
- Fourth, pick a pan which will make easy the sliding of the crepe from the pan into the plate. Having the best crepe pan may help you progress faster to the techniques of crepe making.
- A crepe pan should have a lower rim to make flipping and sliding easier. Some though have higher rims and these can be for some other types of cooking. If you want a pan exclusively for making crepes, choose one with a low rim.
3. Cleaning And Maintenance
Crepe pans are special and need care when cleaning them. Most pans can settle for a soft sponge. But others will require some soft cloth. Special pans even need oiling or seasoning prior to use.
When finally choosing your pan, get one that would suit your needs. If you have kids and making the dish presses you for time, get a low-maintenance crepe pan.
Next up, let’s look at some excellent products you can choose from. There are so many crepe pans out there and it may be quite overwhelming to choose the best one. Fortunately, we’ve narrowed the list down for you. Read on!
Our Recommendations: Top 5 Crepe Pans
1. Cuisinart 623-24 Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Inch Crepe Pan
Talk about loaded features, the Cuisinart 623-24 crepe pan will make for good competition. The tough exterior is nonporous, dense, and wear-resistant. It provides added durability and amazing performance. Its stainless steel handle provides a firm and safe grip and can stay cool on the stove.
It has a quantanium interior and a patented non-stick cooking surface. It allows for healthy, nonfat cooking choices and it’s also easy to clean.
Furthermore, it is oven-safe up to 500-degrees. It even has a solid riveted handle of stainless steel that stays cool on the stovetop.
- The riveted handles allow for a solid and safe grip.
- Has a tapered rim so it won’t drip while you pour.
- Seals moisture in to keep the nutrients and flavors of your crepes.
- Oven-safe up to 500-degrees.
- It’s not induction-ready
- The handle is quite heavy as compared to the pan.
2. Lodge L9OG3 Cast Iron Round Griddle
Although it can make great crepes, you can also use the Lodge L9OG3 cast iron griddle for cooking many breakfast dishes. It’s versatile in anyplace used like on a campfire, the oven, or the stovetop.
Because of its cast iron material, it can retain heat well and is best used for searing meat at high temperatures. You can also use it to keep your meals warm for a longer time.This pan has been pre-seasoned and ready to use with vegetable oil evenly baked into the surface.
It has a sturdy handle with hole for convenient hanging when not in use. Being made of cast iron, the pan distributes heat evenly from the bottom and through the sides.
- Provides superior distribution and retention of heat.
- The sturdy handle has a convenient hole for hanging.
- Easy to clean and oven-safe up to 500-degrees.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- The seasoning tends to flake off easily.
- It’s not resistant to rust.
3. Maxi Nature Kitchenware Large Crepe Pan
Although maintaining a low profile, the Maxi Nature Crepe pan is also perfect for making home-made crepes. It is also versatile.
Aside from crepes, you can use it to make pancakes, omelets, grilled sandwiches, and more. Its sloped-side feature makes it easy for flipping and for sliding the crepe from the pan to the plate.
The Maxi is one of the best crepe pans since it’s a high-quality, heat-responsive and non-stick cookware. It has a stay-cool handle even when on the stovetop. You can easily clean it using a wet paper towel. The pan can also be an essential cookware for other breakfast foods.
- Has a non-stick coating for easy cooking and cleaning.
- The material heats up rapidly and it’s oven-safe too.
- It’s a fast-cooking, high quality, durable crepe pan.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee that’s good for 60 days.
- You need to watch what you’re cooking carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Some customers say that the pan is too thin.
4. AUS-ION Crepe & Griddle Pan
Talk about great features. I believe this is one of the better ones. It will cook you the best French crepes or the best American-griddle foods.
The Australian AUS-ION Crepe pan is from 4mm Australian Iron. It will provide even heating with no warping. It’s healthy, durable, and it’s a commercial-quality cookware. It’s durable enough to last for years of use.
Its design involves a one-piece, seamless, and rivet-free construction. It’s easy to maintain and is very hygienic. The slightly raised sides allow easy access and flipping.
The AUS-ION is naturally pre-seasoned which provides a healthy nonstick cooking choice. It’s ready to use upon purchase with no stripping required. You can use it with high temperatures with any kind of heat source.
- Provides even heating and it’s resistant to warping.
- Non-stick and naturally pre-seasoned so it’s ready to use.
- The wide, ergonomic handle allows for a comfortable grip and better control.
- You can clean it with hot running water, no soap required.
- The seasoning tends to flake off.
- It’s quite heavy.
5. Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 10-2/3-Inch Crepe Pan
The name alone can spell French and this pan is a great crepe pan with great features. This genuine crepe pan that’s French-inspired and is of enameled cast iron.
This allows for even heating with a durable enamel exterior and interior. Its ergonomically-angled handle makes for a safe grip away from the heat source.
The Le Creuset crepe pan doesn’t only make great crepes. Its beautiful and unique design makes it decorative in the kitchen as well.
Whether making crepes or pancakes, the results will be amazing. This is because of the pan’s smooth surface. It allows the batter to spread thinly and evenly over distributed heat. The pan’s surface is specially designed for spreading crepe batter.
- French-inspired pan that heats-up evenly.
- The enamel exterior and exterior make the pan durable.
- The handle allows for a comfortable grip far from the heat.
- Oven-safe and suitable for different stovetops.
- Some say that it’s not really non-stick.
- It’s a bit small for a crepe pan
After reviewing the best products available in the market, we believe that the best crepe pan is the Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 10-2/3-Inch Crepe Pan.
Just hearing the name would make you think about French crepes and other delicacies. Even though all 5 products are amazing, we think this one’s truly special.
This pan has a great design. Aside from being functional, it’s beautiful too. Because of the colorful exterior, you can hang it up as a decoration in your kitchen when you’re not using it. It has an ergonomically-designed handle which is very safe and comfortable to use.
In terms of usability, this pan stands out too. Because of the material it’s made of, you can cook your crepes evenly. While cooking, you don’t have to worry about getting burned because of the handle’s design and placement.
With this pan, you can cook crepes and pancakes easily to enjoy your daily breakfast!
You Might Also Like : How to Make Chicharrones Recipe: The Pork Crackling